GOSPEL MEDITATIONS FOR
THE CONTEMPLATION OF GOD:
Gospel Meditations are both biblically and theologically intense and complex—they are not for everyone. For those who are beginners in the Faith, these might be difficult to grasp. The discipline of examining Scripture and internalizing it requires some spiritual maturity. So then, if at first the going is rough, keep at it and grow in your understanding of both the Bible and theology, while we ask the Holy Spirit to do a “deep” work in us.
So I invite us all to meditate upon, reflect on, contemplate, and consider afresh the Word and Work of our Triune God. Each Gospel meditation will center on a passage of Scripture, and a method of reflection will be outlined each week. Perhaps early in the morning we may rise up and seek Him, as David did, and rejoice at the wonder and beauty of God our Savior.
GOSPEL MEDITATION 12 :
1 John 2:3-6
"Abiding/Loving in Jesus"
3 And by this we know that we have come to know him [Jesus], if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
1. Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions.
2. Be comfortably alert, still and at peace.
3. Say the Lord's Prayer.
4. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer
5. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself.
6. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
7. Reread it.
8. From memory, determine the central points.
9. Consider: How important is it to you to know Jesus?
10. What are the commandments of Jesus which John says we would keep in order to show we know him and are in him? How might they relate to “the love of God”?
11. Now factor in Jesus’ statement in John’s gospel: “This is my commandment, that you love one another.” Since that is the way in which Jesus walked—love for others—pray that God will show you how to love each person around you in the way each one would need especially from you.
12. Now contemplate on Jesus and pray that God will grant you new life in him as well as growing up into his fullness.
13. Being quiet now and seek God in the secret places.Last Update: 2016-09-01 12:11